Old 03-07-2011, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Miracle gro

In article ,
chablonski CHABLONSKISPAM wrote:

Hi, is this ok to use on vegetable plants, sorry to be thick but Im
learning!

Not to worry. We all started at the beginning. Hang around and ask your
questions.

Is this Scotts' regular "chemical salt fertilizer", or their organic
fertilizer? If it is the former, it is toxic to many of the beneficial
microorganisms in your garden soil. If it is the later, it assays at
an NPK of 0.10 - 0.05 - 0.10,
http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/pr...d=prod70308&it
emId=cat80014&tabs=usage
where as fish emulsion (an organic fertilizer) has an NPK or 5-1-1.

What are you growing? Every plant has its own needs, not that you can't
get by by using a one size fits all approach at the beginning, but you
will find eventually that every plant becomes more complicated as you
learn more about it.

songbird gave you some good advice, to which I would add no-dig
gardening.

If you have the time, I'd recommend reading the following:

"Vegetable Gardener' Bible" by Edward C. Smith.
http://www.amazon.com/Vegetable-Gard...-Gardening/dp/
1580172121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815454&sr=1-1
(Available at a library near you)

"How to Grow More Vegetables" by John Jeavons
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/...l=search-alias
%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=How+to+Grow+More+Vegetables&x=0&y=0
(Available at a library near you)

Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis
http://www.amazon.com/Teaming-Microb...l/dp/088192777
5/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815176&sr= 1-1
(Available at a library near you)

Gaia's Garden, Second Edition: A Guide To Home-Scale Permaculture
(Paperback)
by Toby Hemenway
http://www.amazon.com/Gaias-Garden-S...culture/dp/160
3580298/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271266976&sr=1-1
(Available at a library near you)
--

Manure Chicken Diary cow Horse Steer Rabbit
N 1.1 .257 .70 .70 2.4

Manure Sheep Alfalfa Fish Emulsion
N .70 3 5
P .30 1 1
K .90 2 1

You can gauge the quality of your soil by its earthworm population.
If there aren't any, you need to improve the soil. Improve the soil, and
the earthworms will come.

Good luck,
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/