Old 04-07-2011, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Grumble...grumble...

"David WE Roberts" wrote ...

Just went for a nostalgic look at our old allotment.

I was far too honest and told the council that we were away over winter on
a world tour.
They said we couldn't keep the allotment as there was a long waiting list.

Surprise, surprise, there is no indication that the plot has been touched
since we cleared it last autumn.

I have written to the council requesting that they reassign the plot to
us.

We shall see; even if we do get it back we have lost much of this year's
growing season.

Therefore.

Grumble...grumble...grumble....

On a positive note the council have planted a load of cherry trees
alongside the road and the tiny fruits are wonderful :-)

Probably was re-rented but the new people, full of enthusiasm, took it on in
ignorance of the work involved. Seen it a lot on our site, new gardeners
encouraged by how easy it all seems in all the modern magazines and TV get a
plot and then realise it is constant battle against weeds, lack of rain, too
much rain, physical hard work, and most of all time. If people are in full
time employment it is very difficult to keep an allotment up straight unless
you are totally committed year in and year out and prepared to change your
life style to accommodate that. That means being down on the plot every
weekend and most fine evenings in the summer. Few are prepared for or
understand that total commitment.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden