Old 04-07-2011, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ride on Mower

On 07/04/2011 09:50 AM, wrote:
Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

Friends who have a paddock which they want to bring into some sort of
order are debating about a sit on mower. The paddock is quite large and
they may well develop two more and make one a garden with lawn.

Is it worth them going down the second hand recon. Path and getting as
big as possible or go for something smaller but brand new.
If recon. Where would you recommend they go? They live near Aylesbury.

They should find a supplier who also services (Not one of the sheds, a
place that has its own repair and servicing workshop) who will advise them
on the right size and performance of mower for their circumstance/needs
and should offer to bring one out for a free demo. Authorised Countax
dealers do that.

Another consideration, is to choose a supplier who offers collection
and return for servicing and repairs.

In my experience and friends', ride on domestic mowers will NOT cut
tall rough meadow grass (a foot high +) whatever the brand and ads say.
So, they are really only any good for regular mowing.

We have a Kubota diesel ride-on mower and that *does* mow just about
anything, basically if you dare drive through it the mower will mow it.

I lent it to a friend just this week-end to top his paddock which was
full of thistles and he said it did a brilliant job where his ride-on
simply couldn't cope.

I broke a T1600 in heavy wet grass. My impression of it wasn't that
great, sorry. It did clog up somewhat. (Luckily it was a loaner from
the shop). I also had a 2100 for about a month, it seemed a bit more rugged.

I currently use a Countax and although they do make a high-grass cutting
deck which I think works quite well I can no longer recommend the
quality. I even had to replace the transmission last year after only
about 650 hours. Basically it works well when it works at all.

For field work a small Kubota or Iseki is better (I use the former,
there are lots available on the gray market) but they don't offer much
for a finished lawn unless you invest in grass tyres and an expensive
cylinder cutter.

-E