Old 04-07-2011, 12:10 PM
VickyN's Avatar
VickyN VickyN is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Land still needs to be rotated because of high application of
fertilisers building to toxic levels... particulalry P (locks out iron).
Ah, maybe rotated is the wrong word, easy to confuse with ordinary crop
rotation I suppose. So let's just say land is left unusable for certain
periods of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy[_10_] View Post

Nitrogen input reduces organic material in soil, but micro nutrient
deficiencies arrive slowly enough that amendments can be added to
augment the soil.
By this do you mean we replace the organic material directly in the top few inches of soil? Micro deficiencies arrive slowly usually because they are immobile in the first place. Very hard to correct once set in in certain cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy[_10_] View Post
E. coli is an enteric bacteria. That means it is present in your colon
right now. IIRC natural E. coli is benign. E. coli 0157 H7 though is a
killer, and comes from confined animal feeding operations (CAFO) where
grain is fed to ruminants, acidifying their stomachs.

Power Steer - NYTimes.com
Escherichia coli 0157 is a relatively new strain of a common intestinal
bacteria (it was first isolated in the 1980's) that is common in feedlot
cattle, more than half of whom carry it in their guts. Ingesting as few
as 10 of these microbes can cause a fatal infection.

Most of the microbes that reside in the gut of a cow and find their way
into our food get killed off by the acids in our stomachs, since they
originally adapted to live in a neutral-pH environment. But the
digestive tract of the modern feedlot cow is closer in acidity to our
own, and in this new, manmade environment acid-resistant strains of E.
coli have developed that can survive our stomach acids -- and go on to
kill us. By acidifying a cow's gut with corn, we have broken down one of
our food chain's barriers to infection.
Thank you for the information... and as e.coli lives in soil and soils are becoming more acidic, couldn't this too contribute to mutant strains of e.coli?