Old 04-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Laura Corin Laura Corin is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post

In my experience and friends', ride on domestic mowers will NOT cut
tall rough meadow grass (a foot high +) whatever the brand and ads say.
So, they are really only any good for regular mowing.

If they are thinking in terms of a wildflower meadow or just topping a
paddock maybe a couple of times in the six-month growing season, they will
need some other means to make the long coarse cuts(like a powerful
strimmer, or paying a nearby farmer to run his haycutter round it, or
buying a professional grass tractor like a Kubota).

Janet.
Our experience is similar. We have a Countax lawn tractor which we bought from the previous owners of the house. It's about thirteen years old and going fine on the large lawn. It can't cope with tall grass - our 'meadow' gets waist high by August and it definitely can't cope with that. We have once had a farmer in to mow it for hay, once strimmed it, and this year are planning on hiring a heavy-duty mower for a day to cut it down.

Laura