Old 04-07-2011, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Mower engine query

"Baz" wrote in message
"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Charlie Pridham" wrote ...

I have a cheap Champion mower which has been excellent for the last 8
years, it has suddenly started to be very difficult to start.

Symptoms
It wont start at all on choke
on slow it fires but peters out before getting going
after about 15 pulls it finally goes and runs fine until I stop to
empty the grass box, then it will be reluctant to restart (although
not as bad as when cold)
On opening the throttle it revs up and down and is reluctant to
settle and it does similar if it suddenly has longer grass.

It seems to be worse if the fuel tank is not more than half full.

What I know its not
Spark plug, changed that it made no difference,
Air filter, took that off and it made no difference
Safety brake not clearing, checked that and it comes on and off as it
should.

Seems like a fuel problem but I have no manual, so is there a fuel
filter somewhere that could be partially blocked?, or could a partial
blockage in the carb produce these symptoms?

Any other low tech suggestions welcome

Revving up and down is called "hunting" and is usually down to dirt in
the carburettor which you can usually take apart to clean if you are
careful, some (Honda) have a drain plug on the bottom of the carb too.
(well ventilated area, no naked flames etc.). If there is dirt in the
carb it is also probably in the tank so an in-line petrol filter may
be the answer (from any car spares place) unless you want to drain out
the tank and remove the dirt from the petrol (it will sink to the
bottom). (an empty tank that contained petrol is a bomb so be careful)
Alternatively has it got one of those plastic/rubber petrol primer
bulbs, it may have a small hole in it so it's sucking in air. Had the
one on my old Husqvarna strimmer break up a few weeks ago and had to
get a non-original replacement on e-bay as the dealer couldn't help
me.

These things are designed to get the purchaser to but a new model. Jap
Crap
or Kraut, and anything in between!
Nobody wanted BSA(Birmingham Small Arms) or Triumph or AJS etc. products
and they went tits up because of shortsighted nationalism.
If I come across as racist so what.
I am backing Britain.(what is left of it)

Baz

tits up?

Funny :-((

I have one of these in the garage