Old 04-07-2011, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Grumble...grumble...

Janet wrote:
IME the majority of allotment newbies underestimate how much time and
sweat it takes to keep on top of a sizeable veg garden, and easily get
discouraged by the tide of weeds. If they started out with a smaller
"beginners" plot they'd probably be more successful with everything they
grew, and more motivated to keep going.

Maybe you could say to three newbies; for the first year you will
all share one plot (and the rent). If you all last the first season, the
best kept section inherits the whole plot. The other two will share one
plot until they show they can cope with a whole one by themselves

When we got our first, we wanted a whole one and they advised against and
gave us a half one. After a year and finding we had nowhere near enough
room to grow much more than enough potatoes and beans for the year, we asked
if we could have the rest of it, but they had already given it to someone
else.