Old 05-07-2011, 12:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man Stan The Man is offline

Default Ride on Mower

On 2011-07-03 22:23:47 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

Friends who have a paddock which they want to bring into some sort of
order are debating about a sit on mower. The paddock is quite large and
they may well develop two more and make one a garden with lawn.

Is it worth them going down the second hand recon. Path and getting as
big as possible or go for something smaller but brand new.
If recon. Where would you recommend they go? They live near Aylesbury.

If you choose a ride-on with a decent engine (15hp minimum), 4WD and
good sized wheels, and are prepared to mow regularly, you could manage
with something like my Stiga out-front mulching mower. It's fine for my
1 acre lawn (no emptying!) and my friend has an identical machine which
he uses to maintain a 1 acre paddock. It has a pedal to raise the deck
up so it can cut grass up to approx 1ft high; and with the deck down it
gives a good and easy finish to the lawn. Plenty around second-hand or
approx £3500 new:
http://tools4thegarden.co.uk/Tractor...wer/p-343-290/

If

he has let the paddock get out of control, ie over 1ft tall, he uses a
wheeled Billy Goat petrol strimmer to knock it back into shape.