Old 05-07-2011, 06:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Bog garden?

On Jul 4, 11:30*pm, Laura Corin Laura.Corin.
wrote:
Has anyone constructed a bog garden and been successful? *Any tips? *We
have an area of ground which tends to be a bit damp (although not
actually boggy). *I was thinking of surrounding it with willow for
shelter, which I would cut down regularly to create bright winter stems,
and then putting a perforated pond liner sheet into a hole to make a
good boggy bit. *I like the idea of planting a willow bower to sit in
too.

What construction tips do you have? *What have been your easiest plants?
I'm in Fife, five miles from the coast, on (I assume) somewhat acidic
soil. *The proposed bog garden site is at least forty yards from the
house, so the willows are not a problem.

Thanks

Laura

--
Laura Corin

I have a bog garden of sorts. You need lots more water than you
might think.
A constant source in fact.
Trees and plants use up the water & if it's not replenished the bog
ones then die. Willow trees would be especially good at this I would
think, so plant outside the liner.
Why would you need holes in your liner? Just lets the water escape.