Old 05-07-2011, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Default How to destroy wasp nest?

Terry Pinnell wrote:

There's a wasps' nest in my garden - a hole (maybe two, close
together) on a sloping section of rough lawn. On two visits to
Homebase a fortnight apart they had no stocks of their 'Wasp nest
killer', £5.99, or indeed any wasp destruction product. Meanwhile it
struck me that there must be several ways I should be able to do this
myself. So I'm here to seek suggestions please.

My own initial thoughts a

1. Put a plastic bag and a something heavy over the top to suffocate
and prevent entry.

2. Pour fine sand or similar into the hole, with same objective.

3. Position a hose over the hole and trickle water into it to drown
inhabitants and presumably make re-entry of others unlikely, even
after hose switched off and water drains away.

4. Stuff some dry newspaper into the hole, douse it with paraffin and
light it, with similar comments to #3.

Well, no. 4 sounds the most fun!

--
Chris