Old 05-07-2011, 10:53 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack[_24_] View Post
Thanks for all the replies - v helpful.

Does it make a difference if the roots are short, near the top of the pot
(ie seedlings or cuttings)?
If the soil doesn't dry out completely, it will continue to soak up water from the pot. Having the roots short is probably an advantage as they will be above the water table and won't rot.

For cuttings which I've just taken, I'd remove all the leaves except one, make sure the soil is good and moist, then enclose the whole thing in a plastic bag - it'll keep for months like that. But if they've rooted and are growing away, then they're basically just a plant.

If the seedlings are still small and unlikely to grow massively while you're away, then covering with a huge plastic bag will cut down evaporation. But make sure the seedlings don't touch the plastic else they can easily rot.