View Single Post
  #9   Report Post  
Old 05-07-2011, 03:50 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim W[_2_] View Post
Also the only sensible and safe time to do it is dusk when the entire nest will be in for the night and none of them will be able to emerge without going through the liberal powdering you will give the entrance. A beekeeper's veil is handy.
The later at night the better. I have found them continuing to be rather active immediately on nightfall, but activity has fallen away by about 11pm or midnight, though even then there are a few coming in and out.

My previous house had cavity walls and I occasionally got nests in the wall cavity. I successfully killed off one nest just by blocking their entrance with polyfilla. That was in a wall that rose from a concrete floor, the only nearby window having a masonary sill. Also I think I got that one fairly early. Another nest in a wall rising from a suspended floor and close to a window with a wooden sill, and I think had got to a fair size before I noticed it. When I blocked the hole they started gnawing through the windowsill - noisily - and I could see them down the cracks. And a few started coming up through cracks in the floorboards. I had to reopen the main entrance hole and use poison at night.