Old 05-07-2011, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Tomatoes

"harry" wrote ...

On Jul 5, 4:04 pm, diamonds wrote:
How are yours doing?
Any comments on removing the leaves to expose the fruit inorder to
ripen!!

We have been picking them for three weeks. (Greenhouse)
Removing leaves is ******** unless the leaves are diseased.

I'm in the "leaves are the production factories of plants" brigade but with
Blight being caused by leaves being wet I can see that removing the lower
leaves, which often look sad anyway, would help to remove the possibility
that whilst watering you help blight take hold by wetting the lower leaves.
Personally I don't remove any leaves unless they look past their sell by
date, most lower leaves drop off anyway, at least ours do out in the open
air on the plot.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden