Old 06-07-2011, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
AriesVal[_10_] AriesVal[_10_] is offline

Default What on earth is this ??

On 05/07/2011 22:35, kay wrote:
'Mike Lyle[_1_ Wrote:
;929276']On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 21:46:24 +0100, AriesVal
nvalid wrote:
-
On 05/07/2011 21:35, Christina Websell wrote:-
wrote in message
o.uk...-
A dead nastie on the edge of the pathway at the back our our house.
Never
seen anything like it before in my life! It's about 2 inches long with
fat body like a big spider ?

Looks like a signal crayfish

Tina
It doesn't have a tail like a crayfish - soft rounded body like a big
spider?-

Signal crayfish on its back, with the tail curled in death: if you
look closely, the slightly ragged broad end of the tail seems to be
just about distinguishable, reaching the penultimate leg on the lower
side as we look at it. Mike.

Yes, I agree. Crayfish, with tail curled over. Have you tried touching
it - I think if you put your finger under the jaggedy bit Mike refers to
you would be able to uncurl it enough to convince yourself that it is a
crayfish.

I'll shovel it up this morning and take a closer look at it - I think
you're all right, it's probably a signal crayfish, probably dropped by a
bird as we're not so very far as the crow flies from the River Exe.

--
Old minds are like old horses;
you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.