Old 06-07-2011, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Miracle gro

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

Instead of responding to Gunny's disingenuous prevarications, or his
chronic cranial-rectal inversion, let me simply quote the following,

Why bother Billy. I've found my killfile has an infinite capacity
despite
the efforts of the trolls to try to repeatedly escape.

Oh, he's already in my KF, Fran. I only see his posts when someone else
quotes him, and I usually ignore them.

And that is still a sound policy IMO. Their posts soon give them away as
trolls who feel needy for attention.

Thanks for the address for SBS http://www.sbs.com.au/
The variety of news broadcasts in Australia makes me feel down right
provincial.

SBS has Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Filipino, Spanish, Greek, French,
German, Hindi, Arabic, Russian, Italian, and Turkish news broadcasts,
wow.

But if you don't speak those languages, there's rather limited value to the
mainstream in having them. I'm sure it's advantageous to the ethnic groups
who speak those langusage, but my French isn't even up coping with the speed
of the French news.

French is spoken about 30% to 50% faster than English, but to be fair,
TF 1, 2, and 3 speak more slowly and use simpler words in reporting the
news (l'actualité) than than other programs do.

The Journal (Deutsche Welle) is in English, and in languages that I
don't speak, I can usually make out the location where video was taken,
and a picture is worth a thousand words. Then again, in the "Romance"
languages, there are the occasional words that come through, loud and
clear, which helps with tuning my ear. Spanish, French, and Italian have
many words that mean and sound the same, but are spelt differently. Then
there are those damn false cognates.

I do like the films though and the less mainstream sports. The Tour de
France is on ATM and that is of course well worth watching. It's playing
merry hell with our sleep patterns given that it concludes around 3 am - I
haven't yet managed to watch one stage through to the line - maybe by the
end of the 3 weeks if I build up to it.

We'er 9 hours different from France, here on the "Left" (west) coast.
Late dinner here is about the same time as early "petit déjeuner" there.

Meanwhile back at the "cultural corner" of the garden, maybe the
Montalbano programs were "touched up" to be less objectionable to a
potential buyer (43 episodes at $10 AU/episode, or at Amazon $12
USian/episode). It didn't seem right that Australians would be prudes,

I have no idea what they may have done, but as I said, there is lots of
raunchy stuff to be seen on that channel.

after all, we got both the criminals, AND the Calvinistic, Puritan,
Taliban style, wacko fundamentalists. The main character in the TV's
Montalbano is kinda a "hunk" type of persona, in a Sicilian working
class setting. No gentrification here. It's all grit, and in need of
repairs. Although a French friend of mine once told me that he liked
seeing the "father stone" underneath the missing plaster on buildings.
Lovey-poo, my wife, has read some of Andrea Camilleri's Montalbano
books, and she was somewhat disappointed with the Salvo Montalbano
character, because in the books he is more of a Georges Simenon's
Maigret type. A 50 something, overweight cop, with a penchant for good
wine, and food.
That reminds me, I haven't had breakfast yet;O)

I used to enjoy Maigret.

Ask Lovey-poo if she's read any of Donna Leon's books. The cop hero is well
worth getting to know - set in Venice so stylish in location, urbane in
persona, well written and with corruption lurking like something nasty in
the woodshed. (Apologies for mixing Cold Comfort allusions with vaporetto
fumes)

Hadn't heard of Donna Leon, but we appear to be the minority. There are
98 holds for "Drawing Conclusions", her latest. I ordered the one with
no holds, "Through a Glass Darkly".

Do you have a favorite?

Thanks.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/