Old 06-07-2011, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Tomatoes

On Jul 6, 11:39*am, wrote:
harry wrote:
We have been picking them for three weeks. (Greenhouse)
Cherry or full size? ?My cherry tomatoes went in much later than the full
ones, as the bigger ones need longer to ripen.

The earliest ones were full sized but a low variety (almost bush)
Mustkatka I think they are called.

I have somethignt hat has a similar name! *Whcih could be a typo. *Muskotava
or something similar? *Middle-sized red ones? *I think I grew them last year
in pots, so they are probably /meant/ to be bush.
Actually, I saw I have some, I'm not 100% sure I planted them this year.
But if I have, I did them late.

We start the plants off quite early in a large heated propagator I
have made.
We have had cucumbers ready about the same time.

I planted from Feb to May, and the Feb ones all got a bit pot bound and sad
looking due to me not having time to look after them properly. *:-(

We also have some melons also nearly ready.

Blimey! *My melon plants all have 2 leaves still!
I've never had great success with melons.

Had some trouble with blight this year on the tomatoes. (But not the
Mustkatka ones.)

Already?? *Blimey.

Broad beans early, heavy crop. * Frozen lots.

Broad beans need picking, have 2 varieties so one is just coming ready now,
so need to get the 'white' ones up and eaten or frozen or dried so I can
start on the scarlets. *(they are /really/ pretty flowers!)

Runner beans not doing so well, will be late I fancy.

My runner beans are awful, but the dwarf beans have little mini beans on
already and should get my first handful by start of next week

I start the melons off in my heated propagator. We have a very large
earth shielded conservatory that stays warm through the night.
I grow the melons up the back (earth shielded) conservatory wall that
is always warm when we get a bit of sunshine
The vines are about ten ft long. I hand pollinate. There are about
ten melons on five plants, The earliest will be ready in maybe a
fortnight.

But I have blight on one of my two varieties of tomato quite badly.
The later variety.)
I am putting it down to not disinfecting the greenhouse sufficiently
thoroughly.
(Polytunnel)

The runner beans are just picking up a bit now, we had the first
flowers about a week ago. I think we had cold nights back then that
held them back.