Old 07-07-2011, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default beetroot

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

Billy wrote:

Same genus, but not the same species. The former is Beta cicla, and the
later Beta vulgaris.

May be, and I'm too lazy to dig out my copy of St. Ashworth*, BUT:
The Seed Saver's Exchange, in the front of the annual yearbook for member
swaps says, "Swiss Chard- any beet that is grown for its greens." Probably
makes life easier for knowing where to put stuff.

*Suzanne Ashworth will be one of the speakers at the SSE campout convention
weekend of 7/15; I'll try to resist kissing Her ring or something.

P.S. I found it-"Seed to Seed" calls Garden Beet, Sugar Beet, Swiss Chard,
Mangel, all Beta Vulgaris.

Whether it is Beta vulgaris L., or Beta vulgaris subsp. cicla, you eat
the root of one, and the leaves of the other. Clearly they aren't the
same thing. (You're really gonna make me work for this one, aren't you;O)
Now go away, you're blocking the view.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/