Old 07-07-2011, 06:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Miracle gro

"Billy" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Ask Lovey-poo if she's read any of Donna Leon's books. The cop hero is
well
worth getting to know - set in Venice so stylish in location, urbane in
persona, well written and with corruption lurking like something nasty in
the woodshed. (Apologies for mixing Cold Comfort allusions with
vaporetto
fumes)

Hadn't heard of Donna Leon, but we appear to be the minority. There are
98 holds for "Drawing Conclusions", her latest. I ordered the one with
no holds, "Through a Glass Darkly".

Do you have a favorite?

I haven't read them all, but those I have read have all been good. I do
have a soft spot though for 'Death at La Fenice' because it's the first of
the series, it was the first of hers I'd read, and it was just so refreshing
to find a writer who can write well and who can tell a ripping yarn even
when producing light fiction. I like Janet Evanovich, but although she
tells a ripping yarn, her writing is poor (and her editors are obviously not
up to their jobs - eg. she writes about 'couple things' when a 'couple of
things' is what is meant).