Old 07-07-2011, 11:22 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintama View Post
Hi,
I have grown cauliflower for the first time and followed the instructions on the seed packet. I have started cutting a couple of them which are about 5 inches in diameter, however, I notice that a couple of them have florets which are separating and beginning to 'push up' rather than keeping the nice tight ball I expected. Any ideas where I went wrong.

Also my broad beans plants have produced lovely bean pods near the bottom of the stems but the ones further up are tiny and have withered with black on them. I had this problem last year too.

I would much appreciate help.
I don't think you've done anything wrong with your caulis. The white bit is a compact cluster of flower buds, so left to themselves the individual flower stems will elongate and start the process of developing into flowers.

Broad beans - black bits sound like insect damage - have you got black fly on them? And I wonder what sort of rainfall you've had recently - could the soil have been a it dry?