Old 07-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Lintama Lintama is offline
Registered User

[quote=kay;929454]I don't think you've done anything wrong with your caulis. The white bit is a compact cluster of flower buds, so left to themselves the individual flower stems will elongate and start the process of developing into flowers.

Hi Kay,

Yes, I would guess they are doing that but the heads aren't very big. I was expecting larger flower heads. Also they had developed the heads faster than I thought. I was looking for ages and then suddenly white heads were there. Perhaps I need to try a different variety next year. It is my first time, so I am fairly pleased as I am sure it could have been worse.

Re my broad beans, there have been quite a few black fly especially on one of the stems and at the top which ants were happily harvesting them (I think). I sprayed the worst plant a little as I don't like used bug sprayer. I try to be organic but sometimes certain pests get out of control.

I live in Suffolk and we had no rain for a long time so I was watering the plants nearly every day. I know caulis need a lot so I gave them what they wanted. The beans looked a little wilted at one point but I quickly gave them a lot of water and they seemed OK.

How can I prevent these tiny shrivelled up broad beans next year? Is it a case of never letting the ground get dry? I had some in a raised bed and some in large tubs as I ran out of ground.

Many thanks for your help.