Old 07-07-2011, 06:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default fruit netting

"j" wrote in message
On 7/7/2011 9:01 AM, Frank wrote:
On 7/7/2011 8:38 AM, j wrote:
I've got about a 4 year old peach, and a few blueberries.

Last year, the peaches mysteriously vanished one day, even though I had
sorta draped netting over them.

Is there an alternative, and when should I be ready for the assault?

Netting an 11' tree is no easy matter!

Also, I have some clusters of peaches, should I thin out the extras?

Jeff

Possible deer problem.

Not here.

If so, netting will work used as a fence around
the tree. You want space between net and tree.

I've also seen fallen peaches eaten by groundhogs but never had a bird
problem when I had peach trees.

Squirrels? The grounds are patrolled by guard cats though.

My neighbor claims it is birds, and she has never harvested a peach. Other
neighbor has a dwarf that has no problems.` Maybe rug rats...

Jeff

I would suspect either squirrels of some variety of 2 legged varmint. With
squirrels you would find some evidence of the fruit (skins and bits of
pits), only two legged varmints carry away everything.
Steve