Old 08-07-2011, 03:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default fruit netting

"j" wrote in message
Steve Peek wrote:
"j" wrote in message
On 7/7/2011 9:01 AM, Frank wrote:
On 7/7/2011 8:38 AM, j wrote:
I've got about a 4 year old peach, and a few blueberries.

Last year, the peaches mysteriously vanished one day, even though
I had sorta draped netting over them.

Is there an alternative, and when should I be ready for the
assault?
Netting an 11' tree is no easy matter!

Also, I have some clusters of peaches, should I thin out the
extras?
Jeff

Possible deer problem.

Not here.

If so, netting will work used as a fence around
the tree. You want space between net and tree.

I've also seen fallen peaches eaten by groundhogs but never had a
bird problem when I had peach trees.

Squirrels? The grounds are patrolled by guard cats though.

My neighbor claims it is birds, and she has never harvested a peach.
Other neighbor has a dwarf that has no problems.` Maybe rug rats...

Jeff

I would suspect either squirrels of some variety of 2 legged varmint.
With squirrels you would find some evidence of the fruit (skins and
bits of pits), only two legged varmints carry away everything.
Steve

Here possums will take away everything.

Possums are not uncommon here.

Are talking about a different species of animal.