Old 09-07-2011, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
j[_2_] j[_2_] is offline

Default Mulch types

I've got a bit of landscaping needing a little mulching. I've laid
down 4 or 5 layers of news print and topped it with some dyed mostly
pine bark mulch. I can see this is going to take a lot more bags.

There seems to be a few common mulches: pine bark, wood shreds,
shredded cypress and pine straw.

I seem to remember there was some disadvantage to the cypress, is it
that it lasts too long? Is there anything to recommend one type over
another? Appearance is important also, I've got a good bit done in pine
straw but it has an "undone" sort of appearance (which ordinarily I
like), but not for the main street view.

Jeff