Old 09-07-2011, 03:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
j[_2_] j[_2_] is offline

Default fruit netting

On 7/8/2011 8:01 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
j said:

I've got about a 4 year old peach, and a few blueberries.

Last year, the peaches mysteriously vanished one day, even though I
had sorta draped netting over them.

Is there an alternative, and when should I be ready for the assault?

Netting an 11' tree is no easy matter!

OK, here's what worked for me (before I moved to the sandpit, where
peach trees come to die).

I made a bunch of panels using 48" wide 1" hex netting (aka, chicken wire)
stapled onto 1x2 x 8 foot wood strips. The hex net extended about 1 foot
beyond each end of the wood.

Make enough panels to circle the tree. Tied the panels together to surround
the tree, with the loose hex net extending outward top and bottom. (It might
help to have a couple of stakes or fence posts to help get you started.)

Animals that can push through (or tear through) draped bird netting won't
get through wire mesh.

I like this. I have a good bit of cypress I can rip into 1x2's, they are
8' long. I've got a few anchor post already, it seems like some tent
stakes (or rebar) might help too.

You can roll the panels up to store for next year.

Got it. Like it. Thanks. I was thinking of some framed structure, but
this is it and it fits any shape or lay of the land.

And the panels will also work to protect small block plantings of sweet corn.

Also, I have some clusters of peaches, should I thin out the extras?

Yes.

Will do. It'll be my only real harvest this year, except for my
neighbor's tomato factory.

Jeff