Old 09-07-2011, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Love your garden/gardeners world

On Jul 9, 1:59*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 21:08:13 +0100, "Pete C"
wrote:

Not watched either for a while. I'm seriously beginning to doubt my sanity!
I don't do flowers, only veg, but I'm quite happy to watch the flowery bits.
BUT.....GW tonight....2 mins on veg! And....I can go see country house
gardens if I want. £400 garden ornaments?? What planet are the programme
producers living on?? Whats happened to the ....here's how....element? *Am I
odd in wanting to be shown how....what problems to watch out for and how to
deal with them.....a kind of GQT on TV. Please...someone convince me I'm
normal!!

I'm not much of a gardener - my aspirations exceed my ability.

I haven't watched GW for a long while - partly due to the comments on
here. It does strike me that someone in telly land needs to take a
brave pill and decide to offer two types of programme. *One for
technique / theory / practical guidance for flowers and veg growing
and one that is more about the design elements and how to develop a
garden over the years. That could feature "projects" and "schemes" on
differing scales and could contrast the different levels of expense
people might want to spend.

Much of the programming is more towards the design end of things but
still comes across as a tad impractical. *I like Mr Titchmarsh as I
think he is genuinely enthusiastic about gardening but even his new
ITV show tends towards the expensive end of things when doing the "how
to get the look" bit of the show.

I have been to the garden that was featured on the programme last
night and it is a fabulous garden - you could spend hours in it and
still keep finding new things to look at and plants tucked away.
However you can't help but feel daunted, even with Alan's hints, about
how to even start down the road of creating something like that. *The
"how to be a gardener" series from a few years ago was a help for me
but I still don't feel knowledgeable enough to really know what to do
in a garden.
--
Paul C

I realy don't envy the programmes producers, they can never win, what
ever they put on wont be right for many folks.
"I only grow veg"
I only grow top fruit"
"I grow soft fruit"
"I am a new gardener"
"I have been gardening for over 40 years"
"I grow Orchids"
""I grow alpines"
Etc, Etc, Etc

It could be that there is room for a fruit and veg Prog, and an
ornimental gardening Prog. but how do you cater for the beginner and
the old timer in just half an hour?
Thats where access to "How to" videos is usefull such as these
http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to...ideo-projects/
Also a good way to get local help and advise is to join a local
Gardening club.
David