Old 10-07-2011, 04:40 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Using dechlorinator when topping up

On Sat, 9 Jul 2011 23:12:11 +0100, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

Good way to ensure your pond goes green introducing tap water with it's high
nitrate (fertilizer) levels. With efficient biological filtration, and
especially with plants in the pond, constant water changes are not required.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Well see.... you of the old country have this problem, ;-) here in the
states it is very rare except in very rural areas w/community wells, and
even then they're monitored if they sell their water to others. And
insecticides, no way. People are notified when herbicides are coming thru
their irrigation lines if they request notification, and that is water just
for plants/lawn.

Course that's why I told the poster to know his source water (at least I
hope I said that). Plants can't remove salts and other toxic things. Algae
in particular likes phosphate more than nitrates, w/plants, fresh water
with high nitrates are just going to be eaten up. I assume your nitrates
aren't high enough to call blue baby syndrome and such? ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us