Old 10-07-2011, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen Wolstenholme Stephen Wolstenholme is offline

Default My dad's gooseberry bush seems to be growing currants

On Sat, 9 Jul 2011 22:02:47 +0000 (UTC), Mark Hobley
wrote:

My dad has an old gooseberry bush. A couple of years ago, he noticed that
after the gooseberries had finished, some dark berries formed near the top
of the plant. This has been happening for a couple of years now. Looking at
the bush, the branches near the top have slightly different leaves, that
looks like currant bush leaves.

I spoke to an horticulturalist at college and he said that this might be
some sort of reversion, and I need to find out the ancestor of the gooseberry
bush to find out what the berries were. He suspected that they were currants.

Has anyone else ever seen a gooseberry bush do this?

Mark.

It's a hybrid. There are lots of hybrid berry bushes.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Planner Software www.NPSL1.com