Old 10-07-2011, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Cordyline Resurrection

On 09/07/2011 22:02, Larry Stoter wrote:
Like many neighbours and, I guess, more widely, a large Cordyline in the
garden didn't like the winter. By late March, most of it leaves had
gone, the rest were brown and it looked very dead.

By chance, we visited Cambridge Botanic Gardens - their Cordylines had
suffered a similar fate but, they had either been left or the truncks
cut back to about a metre height. So, on the basis that Cambridge
Botanic Gardens probably knew what they were doing, we cut our's back
and left them.

There are now seven new shoots around the base.

Yes. They do, but be sure to protect the new growth next winter. Mine
took a bad hit two years ago and the early December frosts and -10C
average temperatures in North Yorks last year saw them off completely.

Regards,
Martin Brown