Old 11-07-2011, 04:34 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael D View Post
I would take out any obviously dead stuff, back to the point where the bark shows green when scraped with a thumbnail. But I'd give the new growth a bit longer yet so that you can see what you've got, although taking out the growing tips, but no more, should encourage it to bush out a bit.
You are lucky yours are still alive, mine have all died in the recent winters. The red damask actually proved hardier than the white flowered one for me. Lovely things but I won't buy them again until it looks like we can rely on a run of a few mild winters again. Maybe having yours against the housewall saved them.

When they were alive, I found that, like leyland cypress and ceanothus and the like, they don't grow back if you cut them back further than the green stuff. So don't cut them back too far. L scoparium is naturally a rather vertical plant, having encountered many of them in clumps in NZ, so it's difficult to get them very bushy.