Old 11-07-2011, 11:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default OT Fifteen reasons to grow your own food.

Billy wrote:

Bill, do you use bleached white flour, or unbleached white flour?

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-...ce/dp/14000334
62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271102831&sr=1-1
Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science
of Diet and Health (Vintage)
by Gary Taubes

p. 96
White flour's low protein, vitamins, and mineral content made it "less
liable than whole meal flour to infestations by beetles and the
depredations of rodents", as Sir Stanley Davidson and Reginald Passmore
observed in their textbook Human Nutrition and Dietetics (1963).

I use whole wheat and all-purpose unbleached flowers. I make my own bread,
pancake mix and biscuits from the basics. Some day I will get a grinder and
make my own flour from wheat berries. I am not sure but the berries i
believe have a much longer self life than the flour itself. I have seen
organically grown fifty pound containers of wheat berries for sale but I do
not remember the cost.

http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Reinhart...0422524&sr=8-2

I have this book. Now that my garden and yard is shape and I am maintenance
mode until harvest I have more time during the day to do other things. it
is a good time and get a new sourdough mother starter going again. During
the winter my home is not warm enough for the mother starter to grow. Now
it is warm enough and I have thine.