Old 12-07-2011, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default OT Fifteen reasons to grow your own food.

Doug Freyburger wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:

Just about the same time 1986 some genius discovered that if you added
cement to cattle feed they put on more weight. The world of quantity
became ascendant and quality declined in many commodities.

Mineral supplements work and the price of those mineral supplements
matter. I take it the cement in question is tiny quantities of finely
powdered portland mineral that gives the cattle all the calcium,
potassium and iron they'll need.

I've seen "powdered shale" of supplement stores for the finely powdered
calcium and magnesium. I considered it until I read that it has over
0.01% iron. As it is I donate blood regularly to make sure I don't
accumulate iron in my body.

Sometimes stuff that works comes with terrible PR potential.

And more than often that stuff fails horribly, like feeding cattle with
beef.
I want the natural not the artificial crap that people put in my food. That
is why I garden and preserve as much natural food as I can. That is why I
have my own grass fed only cow and chickens.

Go ahead and enjoy those sawdust products from fast food joints. I won't
stop you.