Old 12-07-2011, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Something to Contrast with Bluebells

On 12/07/2011 21:31, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Spider
writes
On 12/07/2011 18:01, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Spider
writes
On 11/07/2011 16:18, Roger Tonkin wrote:
My local mobile post office man threw this one at me today.

He has a wooded area, mainly of cob nuts, with a carpet of bluebells
underneath. He would like to plant some contrasting flowers (red and
yellow/white) to flower with the bluebells. In spring, the canopy is
quite thin, but gets thicker during the summer, but still has light
coming through. At least 6" of the soil is just leaf mould.

What would anyone suggest?

[Snip snip]

In a similar situation, I have Leucojum aestivum and Fritillaria
meleagris. I was concerned, at first, that the Fritillaria would not
be happy, but it seems to get enough light and, when it doesn't, I
manicure the canopy. In the same area, I also grow Meconopsis
cambrica, which carries on flowering (yellow,occasionally orange) when
the others finish. It seems entirely approriate for a Welsh garden.
Another favourite with me is Aquilegia vulgaris and cvs. During the
bluebell season, blue, pink, ruby and white flowers bloom. There are a
few good yellow Aquilegias, but they tend to be later flowering.

There are red forms of Meconopsis cambrica.

Rosa rubiginosa (sweet briar) is redder than the wild type of Rosa
canina.

I'm most intrigued by a red Meconopsis cambrica. It certainly doesn't
grow in my garden. I think it *ought* to :~). I will look out for a
supplier.

The single is sold as 'Frances Perry' and the double as 'Muriel Brown'
(both are in Plant Finder). A red has also been distributed as coccinea,
and I think it's not the same as 'Frances Perry'.

They're rather to the orange side of red - I'd label them as vermillion.

Yes, I was a bit ambiguous about my rosa, wasn't I? When I said "more
subtle", I meant "not red at all"!! Even R. rugubinosa is just a
deeper pink (in flower). It's berries are certainly red.

Have googled on the M.c. 'Frances Perry' and it's gorgeous. Thanks for
suggesting that, Stewart. I will definitely hunt it down.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London