Old 14-07-2011, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MuddyMike MuddyMike is offline

Default Neighbour's tree fell on my fence

"ernie mendoza" wrote in message

My neighbour's old tree fell over and damaged my fence. It was not
windy and the 30-foot tree's roots had obviously rotted and gone. How
should I proceed with getting my fence repaired?

1. Get my neighbour to fix it?
2. Claim on my buildings insurance. In this case should I get his
insurance details so my insurance company can recover costs from his
company? How do i recover my £100 excess? Will my premium increase as
a result of my claim?

If at all possible say nothing to your insurers as most will use it as an
excuse to bump up your premium on renewal. If you get along with the
neighbour simply ask him to fix it, if he refuses send him a letter stating
that unless it is fixed by a given date you will have the work done and sue
him for the cost. Either way its up to him to make a claim on his insurance
or pay himself if he doesn't have insurance.

Mike