Old 14-07-2011, 03:06 PM
QueenAnkh's Avatar
QueenAnkh QueenAnkh is offline
Registered User

Location: UK
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
How quickly they flower depends how much sunlight and warmth they get
They are in the sunniest spot I could find in a south facing garden. Three are in a greenhouse, doing quite well, not flowered but looking strong. The other two are doing okay, again not flowering but actually growing. i thought outside would kill them but I haven't yet so there's a bonus!

[/quote]What do you mean "had them potted for about two months"? My usual timetable for chillies/peppers is to sow seeds in individual seed capsules, Feb/Mar, in heated propagator (important - use anti damping off spray), take out of propagator and put on windowsill when germinated, then pot on when at the two-proper-leaves stage large enough into half-litre to litre yogurt pots, typically mid April, still on the windowsill, then pot on into 3 to 7 litre pots late May, and put outside, exact timing depending on weather forecast.[/quote]

I'm not using lights because they are way to expensive for me I'm sharing a greenhouse!

[/quote]It has been cool much of June, so flowering has set back this year in comparison to most previous years. I've only recently had some set fruit, but in a good June it could have been a month earlier.[/quote]

Does this mean mine COULD flower by August if the weather keeps up? I plan to use some and dry any excess out (fingers crossed!)

[/quote]If your "potting" 2 months ago was equivalent to my first potting on in mid April, into half to one litre, then you are a month off the pace. They need to be potted on now to a large pot.[/quote]

I first potted them about April and planted them in the greenhouse/garden about two weeks ago and they're doing okay.

[/quote]Did you put the outdoor ones in the ground? This is not a good idea, unless you have a roasting bed. They need warm soil temps and putting them in the ground usually holds them back. Black plastic pots is best.[/quote]

I have put them in the ground but it is in a sunny spot with well drained soil. Again, they are doing okay.

[/quote]They do need a lot of warmth and sunlight.[/quote]

I have put them in the best spots I could. In the greenhouse, they're in a sunny-all-day-long spot with canes to guide them. Fingers crossed!
Thanks for your help, it's nice to see I haven't killed them!