Old 14-07-2011, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default What temperature .......

"echinosum" wrote in message

"'Mike'[_4_ Wrote:
;930064"].... does a Compost Bin/Heap need to operate at to kill weed
seeds? Ours is
at 120 degrees at the moment. Hot enough?.

130F / 55C is usually reckoned as the minimum useful temperature to kill
most nasty stuff off. Need 10 hours at that temperature to cook most
seeds dead. See 'Hot Composting, Accelerated Composting, Thermal
Composting' (http://tinyurl.com/65r8f57)

But if you succeed in getting to that temperature, you'll probably need
to turn it daily or it will get too hot.

--
echinosum

Many thanks for that info. Not been a 'hot composter' in the past, always
relied on worms, it's just that we put a load of shredded stuff in the other
day and it got really hot! Don't know what it's doing to the worms though
;-)

Yes we do have the worms now. Had a chat with an urgler at the Theatre and
he gave me the clue. Too dry because ............ the hedge had grown to
overhang the compost bin and sheltered it from all the rain we had. :-((
Hedge now cut back and guess what, it's the stuff we shredded ;-))

Mike