Old 14-07-2011, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Best ground cover to walk on?

Don Wiss wrote:
"David E. Ross" wrote:

I think the preferred term is "tree well", not "tree pit".

Never heard tree well used around here. It is not lower then the sidewalk.
Often they are slightly higher.

If it's not lower than the sidewalk then why do you keep refering to
that area as a "pit"? I think you need to post a photograph depicting
the entire area so everyone can see what you're talking about. I
lived in NYC for many years and I know that every curbside planting
area presents a different situation. You haven't really given a
description, you've not mentioned whether it's a business or
residential situation, or who is responsible for its care... you
haven't even said if it's in full sun, part shade, or full shade, and
what kind of soil, which are very important considerations for
suggesting a ground cover planting.

We could intentionally pile a lot of snow into the _pit_
to discourage stepping into it.