Old 14-07-2011, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default OT Fifteen reasons to grow your own food.

In article , "Snag"
wrote:

Nad R wrote:
Doug Freyburger wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:

Just about the same time 1986 some genius discovered that if you
added cement to cattle feed they put on more weight. The world of
quantity became ascendant and quality declined in many commodities.

Mineral supplements work and the price of those mineral supplements
matter. I take it the cement in question is tiny quantities of
finely powdered portland mineral that gives the cattle all the
calcium, potassium and iron they'll need.

I've seen "powdered shale" of supplement stores for the finely
powdered calcium and magnesium. I considered it until I read that
it has over
0.01% iron. As it is I donate blood regularly to make sure I don't
accumulate iron in my body.

Sometimes stuff that works comes with terrible PR potential.

And more than often that stuff fails horribly, like feeding cattle
with beef.
I want the natural not the artificial crap that people put in my
food. That is why I garden and preserve as much natural food as I
can. That is why I have my own grass fed only cow and chickens.

Go ahead and enjoy those sawdust products from fast food joints. I
won't stop you.

It's not s much the sawdust I mind as it is the "pink slime" , AKA
ammonia-treated waste products they add back to the ground beef . Google it

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/us/31meat.html?pagewanted=all

To reiterate, the USDA isn't there to protect consumers. The USDA is
there to help market agricultural(?) products.

I can't imagine this kind of disease laden crap being sold in Germany,
or France.
--
- Billy
America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.

You put Lloyd Blankfein in pound-me-in-the-ass prison for one six-month term, and all this bullshit would stop, all over Wall Street. That's all it would take. Just once.