Old 14-07-2011, 11:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Best ground cover to walk on?

Don Wiss wrote:
We have a new street tree in front. NYC's standard tree pit size is
now 4-1/2 x 9 feet. It is right along the curb. With nine feet along
the curb there will be people getting out of cars and into the pit.

So what ground cover can take this the best? It would seem to me that
myrtle/perrywinkle would be better than English ivy, which would be
better than pachysandra.

Other plants (e.g. spring bulbs) could be added further from the curb.

Don http://foraging.com/ e-mail at page bottom.

If people are going to walk on it often then there is none that will look
good all year round and many that will never look very good. Pave it.

David