Old 14-07-2011, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default OT Fifteen reasons to grow your own food.

Billy wrote:
Snag wrote:

It's not s much the sawdust I mind as it is the "pink slime" , AKA
ammonia-treated waste products they add back to the ground beef . Google it

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/us/31meat.html?pagewanted=all

To reiterate, the USDA isn't there to protect consumers. The USDA is
there to help market agricultural(?) products.

the FDA should be there to protect consumers
but i don't think it has the teeth to do much.

I can't imagine this kind of disease laden crap being sold in Germany,
or France.

the sad thing is that all that stuff will
make people sick and thus increase health-care
costs for the entire society.

if we really are serious in the USoA of getting
health care costs under control we need to deal
much more with preventable stuff. food borne
diseases are one that must be costing billions
a year.

songbird