Old 15-07-2011, 11:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
Don Wiss Don Wiss is offline

Default Best ground cover to walk on?

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 17:06:22 -0400, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

If it's not lower than the sidewalk then why do you keep refering to
that area as a "pit"?

Because that it what they are called around here. See the official
instructions on caring for it:

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_your_..._pit_care.html

I think you need to post a photograph depicting
the entire area so everyone can see what you're talking about.

Okay. Here it is: http://donwiss.com/pictures/misc/treepit.jpg

The hoops are new. Right now the soil is compacted from the people walking
on it pre-hoops. I need to loosen it up. And I have a bag of Sweet Peet
that I will add.

lived in NYC for many years and I know that every curbside planting
area presents a different situation. You haven't really given a
description, you've not mentioned whether it's a business or
residential situation,

Residential with low parking turnover. And on the car's passenger side.

or who is responsible for its care...

That's between me and the neighbor that I share the pit with. We both have
hoses out front and we both garden. But I am usually home and they are
usually not.

you
haven't even said if it's in full sun, part shade, or full shade, and
what kind of soil, which are very important considerations for
suggesting a ground cover planting.

It gets morning sun. Sometimes filtered through a honey locust tree.

Don. http://paleofood.com/kitchen-equipment.htm (e-mail at page bottom).