Old 15-07-2011, 01:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Best ground cover to walk on?

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
news
We have a new street tree in front. NYC's standard tree pit size is now
4-1/2 x 9 feet. It is right along the curb. With nine feet along the curb
there will be people getting out of cars and into the pit.

So what ground cover can take this the best? It would seem to me that
myrtle/perrywinkle would be better than English ivy, which would be better
than pachysandra.

Other plants (e.g. spring bulbs) could be added further from the curb.

Not knowing the lcimate of NYC, I wonder if various thymes (golden normal
old domestic, lemon etc) might work? Makes a nice scent when stepped on, is
fairly tough IME and won't catch feet ankles like periwinkle or ivy would.