Old 15-07-2011, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Large pots drainage?

On 15/07/2011 08:50, Moonraker wrote:
It is recommended that broken pieces of clay pots are placed at the
bottom to help drainage. As clay pots are rarer then hen's teeth what do
Urglers use at the bottom of their pots, and how much material to they use?

I very rarely use drainage crocks in pots with small drainage holes.
Where I do need crocks, I use slate pieces and broken crocks dug up from
the garden - masses of it round here :~)). I have also used polystyrene
in a huge pot to limit the amount of compost I need to use, as well as
for drainage.

In winter, if I have large slabs of polystyrene, I use it to stand pots
on so the roots aren't near the frozen ground. I find this quite helpful.

Spider
from high ground in SE London
gardening on clay