Old 18-07-2011, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Best time of year to trim hedgerow

On Jul 17, 11:47*pm, kay wrote:
BluntChisel;930345 Wrote:

Hello -

I've inherited responsibility for maintaining a couple of hundred metres
of
unkempt hedgerow in Devon. The hedge contains many different species,
with
some of them being ferociously spiky. I've got a sturdy petrol
hedgetrimmer
with a longish reach, and I don't mind the exercise at all.

What's the best time for trimming it? It seems a pity to trim it now,
because it's full of berries, insects and birds.
The local farmers seem to trim their hedges in the early autumn, but
would
that deprive the birds of berries for the winter?

Any tips gratefully received.

You should not cut it back in the nesting season. It's an offence to
disturb a nest. So autumn seems about the best.

--
kay- Hide quoted text -

The above is correct if you are using machinary. It is illegal under
the wildlife act.

You will soon get bored. Petrol trimmers are heavy nasty things too.
You always end up breathing the exhaust fumes.
Get someone in with a tractor mounted flail. He will sort it out in
minutes for £15 or £20. There will be someone doing nearby hedges.
You only have to wave the readies under their nose.

If the hedge is very neglected, it may need laying. Tedious but
worthwhile.