Old 18-07-2011, 11:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default ping Nad R & Billy

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Nad - I've been reading a book from the "River Cottage Handbook" series and
thought you might be interested since you too seem to be interested in bread
baking. I'm going to buy a copy when I can figure out how to buy the one
that was for the UK audience not the US, but the one I am reading is
specifically for the US market.

Billy - you may be interested in this because of a brief mention of the
introduction of the 'Chorleywood bread process' whihc is worth reading aoubt
if you care about what you eat.

Daniel Stevens is the author - the US version of the has 2 loaves being
turned out of bread proving baskets, whereas the UK version just has a pile
of loaves on the cover:
http://www.randomhouse.com/book/2008...andbook-by-dan
iel-stevens

Ordered from the library.

What's the difference between the British and the American books?

Apparently, Donna Leon's books have been printed in every language,
except Italian, the language used where she lives.

There is also a video series about Venetian Commissario Guido Brunetti,
in German, "avec sous titres".

Seems that they are a series of "River Cottage" books on the country life,
similar to the "Storey's Country Living" series that are popular here in
the US. The book does look interesting, like Peter Rienhart's books on
bread making does not completely dismiss the use of Mixer Machines but
teaches not use that much. What I not going build is a brick oven. But they
are clay cloche for oven use that I have not tried to use.

I do have to count my pennies these days and I have bread books already. I
did put the book in my wish list. The series of books looks very
interesting.

I do have my sourdough starters going now that the temperatures are warm
enough to grow them. I do not keep the temperature high enough during the
winter for the starters. Fresh bread oder that fill the house is a pleasant
thing that allot people are missing out on.

Badly needed rain is coming. It has not rained much here last three weeks,
my rain barrels are empty. Watering with the well for most of garden. First
too much rain and now too little. The well water is not the best for my
plants.

Like other usenets, postings are way down across the boards. People moving
to FaceBook forums from I have read... Something I will probably not do