Old 18-07-2011, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kathy Kathy is offline

Default which magazine?

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

Anyone got any views on a good gardening magazine?

I currently subscribe to the gardening Which magazine but also receive
the BBC Gardeners world (a present) However i still find I buy the
Amateur Gardening magazine as it's so topical being weekly.

The BBC one does have some good articles but a lot of adverts and as
expected a big push for gardening programmes. Some of the letters and
questions can be a bit fundamental but occasionally especially in the
plant features you do g in depth article and good photographs of the
plants.

The GW magazine is much better than it used to be but i still find their
reviews not really practical. One this month was a review of hedgetrimmers
and they said that they were testing them on conifer and also hawthorn.
Well sorry but any hedgetrimmer that has to go through my 8 foot high
hawthorn hedge would have to be a lot stronger than the under a hundred
pound ones selected as best buys in their review. Currently i have a 24
inch Viking electric one with a dual sided bladed and even that can
struggle at times when growth is prolific .

My friend gets Gardens Illustrated a very 'beautiful' magazine with some
lovely photos and articles by real experts but also the adverts and
lifestyle is way beyond my resources

So i still go and buy the down to earth AG as it has lots of timely tips,
sometimes good ideas and reviews which actually do seem realistic in their
summaries, I like Peter Seabrooks old fashioned views most of the time, I
enjoy Anne Swithinbanks advice from her own garden , you often get free
packets of seeds, whether or not they may be useful to you (latest was cut
and come again lettuce, lychnis and foxgloves. Their letters can be a bit
basic but then you have to start somewhere. I like Toby Bucklands column
as well.

So what do people like? I don't try the grow your own lot as they seem
quite pricey and all the same .

I agree on the GYO mag. I bought it for just over a year, and found that
the articles were beginning to be repeated in only slightly different forms.
My plot partner gets GW, so I get to read that. Might try AG following
your recommendation.

--
Kathy