Old 18-07-2011, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cobbles query

"lavenderlover" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm a newcomer to this discussion board and a beginner gardener. I'd
appreciate some advice on a particular problem
We have inherited a very bare garden, and neighbourhood cats are using
it as a loo. We have planted ferns, lavender, rosemary, various other
plants but cannot hope to fill up the beds with plants in a short
period, so thinking of a mulch. I assume bark/wood chips would not deter
cats in their digging? Thinking of using large cobbles. Any advice
welcome! Also welcome advice on fast-growing evergreen plants which will
provide ground cover,

Thanks,

lavenderlover

Cobbles work very well at deterring cats but are not great to walk on so I
would suggest a few strategically placed stepping stones.

Beware fast evergreen ground covers as they don't come with off switches!
two plants that will do a good job are Hedera helix (common Ivy) and vinca
minor (periwinkle)

Remember that a lot of web based plant pages are intended to inform but also
sell a plant so read the information as you would estate agents blurb and
better still have a note book with you when you visit other gardens and
parks and note down the names of stuff you like, if you cant see a name take
some pictures and post a link to them here, lots of us like a puzzle :~)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs