Old 18-07-2011, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Apple Issues

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

I have a small apple tree - egremont russet I think - which is producing
fruit this year (suffered June drop or similar last year).

The apples look absolutely picture book perfect, but cutting into them
shows brown staining of the flesh.
The flesh is heavily speckled with brown, the brown being just like apple
that has been exposed to the air for an hour or more.

Anyone suggest a reason please?
Is this another symptom of the earlier dry weather this year?

TIA

Phil

It sounds like "Bitter Pit" which can be a lack of water and often affects
young trees (presumably they don't have such good root systems)
Mulch trees heavily in winter, avoid high nitrogen feeds and I have heard
tale of spraying with Calcium nitrate in summer can help, but there is
plenty online about it.
I am afraid I just live with it, some years are fine other years it can stop
us storing apples

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs