Old 18-07-2011, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Moonraker Moonraker is offline

Default Apple Issues

On 18/07/2011 15:15, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

I have a small apple tree - egremont russet I think - which is
producing fruit this year (suffered June drop or similar last year).

The apples look absolutely picture book perfect, but cutting into them
shows brown staining of the flesh.
The flesh is heavily speckled with brown, the brown being just like
apple that has been exposed to the air for an hour or more.

Anyone suggest a reason please?
Is this another symptom of the earlier dry weather this year?

TIA

Phil

It sounds like "Bitter Pit" which can be a lack of water and often
affects young trees (presumably they don't have such good root systems)
Mulch trees heavily in winter, avoid high nitrogen feeds and I have
heard tale of spraying with Calcium nitrate in summer can help, but
there is plenty online about it.
I am afraid I just live with it, some years are fine other years it can
stop us storing apples

I concur. I had this problem 2 or 3 years ago, the supplier of the trees
recommended Calcium, I used this and have not had trouble since. It is a
shame when it spoils a good crop.