Old 18-07-2011, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default ping Nad R & Billy

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

I've been reading a book from the "River Cottage Handbook"

snip

Billy - you may be interested in this because of a brief mention of the
introduction of the 'Chorleywood bread process' whihc is worth reading
aoubt
if you care about what you eat.

I've been low-carbing. Trying to keep my blood sugar down but last night
I cracked, and we had our first pasta primavera (été) of the season. God
it was good. Whole wheat pasta, tomatoes, sweet peppers, scallions,
basil, garlic, & lemon zest with olive oil as the sauce, accompanied
with a side order of sautéed zucchini. The basil, peppers, and zucchini
where from the garden. Good stuff, and will only get gooder as the
garden progresses.

Daniel Stevens is the author - the US version of the has 2 loaves being
turned out of bread proving baskets, whereas the UK version just has a
pile
of loaves on the cover:
http://www.randomhouse.com/book/2008...d-handbook-by-
dan
iel-stevens

Ordered from the library.

What's the difference between the British and the American books?

In the US version I'm reading, it's full of lbs and ozs. I've spent decades
converting to metric so don't want to go there again when I buy my own copy.

Does that mean, units aside, that you cook more with weight (mass) as
opposed to volume (tablespoons, cups)?
There are a raft of books put out under the River Cottage banner and one of
the others I also have on library loan, called 'The River Cottage Cookbook'
has several pages of other specific USian stuff of various interest or
otherwise. Stuff like how low the poundage of lamb eaten in the US in a
year (1LB/person/year which astonished me)

Likewise, I've never gotten used to the flavor of lamb. The best I've
had came with a strong soy sauce glaze. It covered the flavor. But I'm
no gourmet, I don't like the taste of salmon either.
and lots about what organic means
(or doesn't) in certain US juridictions, how certain stock are reared etc -
the author is a commited carnivore but also a power veg grower. I've
borrowed a whole lot of these River Cottage books to see if I'd like to own
them and I want the whole lot.

Apparently, Donna Leon's books have been printed in every language,
except Italian, the language used where she lives.

Yep, I knew that.

There is also a video series about Venetian Commissario Guido Brunetti,
in German, "avec sous titres".

That would be about as useful as boobs on a budgerigar TMWOT.

Careful, "boobs" hold an exalted and sacred position in my pantheon of
desires. You, the proud owner of a pair, my not share my fascination

Have you read Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series? If not, I strongly
recommend all 20 and a half books in the series (or is that 21 and half
books??). Best author I have ever had the pleasure to read.

The New York Times book list seems to like him too.

Master and Commander requested from our library (and from Netflix).

I enjoy the cinema, but it is my "Lovey-poo" who enjoys reading the
"who-done-it"s. I read little fiction, and often that is junk sci-fi.
(It keeps my eyes moving, but I don't have to think about it much.) When
I'm not reading who-why-what-when-and-where documentary kinds of things,
I find solace from a series on haiku by R.H. Blyth
http://www.ralphmag.org/haikuP.html

Thanks again for the tips, and advice. When it comes to literature I am
a stranger in a strange land.
--
- Billy
America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.

You put Lloyd Blankfein in pound-me-in-the-ass prison for one six-month term, and all this bullshit would stop, all over Wall Street. That's all it would take. Just once.