Old 18-07-2011, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan \(BigAl\) Alan \(BigAl\) is offline

Default What is this pest and how to combat it?

wrote in message
"Alan \(BigAl\)" wrote:
On washing and peeling it, I was dismayed to find that it was unusable,
as
it had been attacked by a series of small grubs that had bored into it
and
introduced a network of brown rotten trails through it.

I'm not going to be much help, as my only response is that exactly the
same
happened to me the only time I ever succeeded in growing a turnip or two.

My dad did manage to cut away enough from each one to make a very small
amount of soup, though!

Using Google, I have now found a good deal of advice from an American web
page.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5632827_rid-...s-turnips.html
Scrupulous garden hygiene,
Mechanical barriers to prevent the fly gaining access to the root
Do not compost the infected plants
Expensive insecticides - if you can find one you trust not to poison the
family.

And I thought in my innocence, that I could just pop a few seeds in and with
a little water and weeding enjoy nice flavourful stews in the Autumn. Wrong
again!

Not so easy this gardening lark, is it?

Alan